Saturday 23 January 2010

Day 5: Sorrow



When I was painting this piece I was listening to Marilyn Manson - The Lest We Forget The Best Of, I really like his music and i like him as an artist. His early work is relating to a really misunderstood teen audience who are going through a great deal of hardships, its basically an acknowledgement of the hardships and Mr.Manson is saying he knows exactly what he was going through, basically I was thinking of how everyone goes through a rough time in there life and all they want to do is just let it all out and feel released. This is what I had in mind when i was painting this and I think I've captured the darker side of puberty, The painting is focusing on the everyone who is or has went through there teenage years feeling hurt, neglected or abused, So i wanted to keep the person to be quite androgynous in the way it looked, I didn't want gender to be a focus I wanted it to be universal. The background of the piece is to represent the darkness and negativity we've all had in our lives and when your driven to despair that's all you feel is around you, this constant swirl of anger, rage and loneliness. In the end you always feel alright, thats why there's a white ring around the teen to show never fully get consumed by the negativity, there is always and everything is always Ok in the end.

To get more information on Marilyn Manson, wether it be for his music, his film making or his fine art his website is http://www.marilynmanson.com/ but you must be of at least 18 years of age. He truly is a great artist and creates a great atmosphere in what ever he maybe doing. I like the fact when i was younger I wasn't allowed to listen to his music, my families not really religious or anything, but when your told not to do something and it basically means you've got to do it anyways, I think that's another reason why I like him, I'm rebelling. -BL

No comments:

Post a Comment